In a letter she sent to her Democratic colleagues on Tuesday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) ripped into President Donald Trump, accusing him of being a “weak person” and “poor leader” whose failures as head of state have caused needless American deaths and brought the country to the brink of economic collapse.
Pelosi begins her letter by insisting the thing the nation most needs at this critical time in our history is truth and honesty, neither of which are in great abundance in what we hear from the Trump administration regarding the coronavirus pandemic:
“As Americans, we are suffering from pressures of economic hardship. All of us want to resume the precious and beautiful lives that America’s unique freedoms provide. We will overcome this moment, but success requires one fundamental from which all actions will follow: we need the truth. To succeed in this crisis, we must insist on the truth, and we must act upon it!”
From there, the Speaker Pelosi ticks off one truth after another about Trump and his so-called “leadership”:
- The truth is that Donald Trump dismantled the infrastructure handed to him which was meant to plan for and overcome a pandemic, resulting in unnecessary deaths and economic disaster.
- The truth is that in January Donald Trump was warned about this pandemic, ignored those warnings, took insufficient action and caused unnecessary death and disaster.
- The truth is that Donald Trump told his most loyal followers that the pandemic was a hoax and that it would magically disappear, thus endangering lives and paving the way for economic disaster.
- The truth is that we did not have proper testing available in March despite Trump repeatedly claiming that we did; and even now, we do not have adequate tests, masks, PPE, and necessary equipment, which creates unnecessary death and suffering.
- The truth is because of an incompetent reaction to this health crisis, the strong economy handed to Donald Trump is now a disaster, causing the suffering of countless Americans and endangering lives.
- The truth is a weak person, a poor leader, takes no responsibility. A weak person blames others.
There’s little doubt that Pelosi’s letter, which she also shared on Trump’s favorite social media platform, Twitter, will enrage the president, but as we’ve come to see over the past four years, his response will be one of hatred, invective, and personal attacks.
Harry Truman had a sign on his desk that read, “The buck stops here!” But not for Donald Trump. His inability to admit his faults and seek to correct them has already cost countless lives and may well lead to another Great Depression.
Featured Image Via NBC News