Buried underneath all the chatter about Supreme Court decisions and Cassidy Hutchinson’s testimony to the House Committee investigating the January 6th coup attempt, there was another mass shooting. This time in Kentucky. This time the victims were the police, including a police K9 dog.

Three police officers died after a mass shooting in Floyd County, Kentucky on Thursday that also injured four other officers, according to Kentucky State Police. Other sources report a K9 dog was also killed in the rampage

Floyd County Sherriff, John Hunt, said the shooter “was a sheer terrorist … he was just a terrorist on a mission.”

The shooting happened on Thursday when officers attempted to serve a warrant at the home of Lance Sortz, age 49. The warrant was related to a domestic violence incident in the nearby city of Allen, Kentucky. Officers had not even made contact when Sortz opened fire.

“They encountered … pure hell when they arrived. They had no chance,” said the Sherriff. He added, “The shooter seemed to have had a plan and “pretty much executed that plan almost to precision,” Hunt also said it took several hours to figure out where the gunman was firing from.

Sortz was arraigned Friday and is now being held on a 10 million dollar bond.

Storz faces multiple charges, including murder, attempted murder of a police officer, and assault on a service animal. Apparently, more charges will be coming as everyone wraps their head around these events, according to attorney Keith Bartley who was representing the county. He added that the initial charges were basically given “in the middle of a war zone.” 

It took about six hours and help from Sortz’s family before he surrendered to the police.

Bartley said Friday morning: “These are human beings. These are people with children, spouses, moms, and dads, their world will never be the same.” Those sentiments echo those of the citizens of Uvalde, where 19 school children and 2 teachers were slaughtered. They also echo what we have seen in just about every mass shooting that has occurred in the United States over the past decades. 

No further details are available at this time. When more details will be available is anybody’s guess. The Kentucky State Police did say this in a statement, “To protect the integrity of an ongoing investigation, it is KSP’s standard operating procedure not to release specific details until vital witnesses have been interviewed and pertinent facts gathered. Timelines to complete investigations vary based on the complexity of the case.”